Best Selling Cigar Cutters!
Table of Contents
When you start smoking, one of the common ritualistic actions is the cutting of cigars. Indeed, it is the first thing that you will learn because all cigars have one closed end (cap) that you put in the mouth. If you cut the cigar wrongly, the wrapper could tear off and damage it. For a clean and impressive cut, you need the right cigar cutter. Here is the ultimate guide to the best cigar cutters.
What are the Main Types of Cigar Cutters?
The evolution of cigars has yielded many types of cutters designed to ensure that every enthusiast can get the preferred style. Here are the main types of cutters you should expect in the market:
Straight cutters/ Guillotine
This category of cutters is the most common in the market. It has a single blade though experienced cigar aficionados prefer the newer designs with double blades.
To make a clean cut, using the guillotine, it is important to start by identifying the point of the cut. This is essentially where the shoulder of the cigar cup ends. Then, place the cutter a short distance from the shoulder and use as much force as possible to get a clean cut.
Instead of nipping off the head completely, the wedge cutter makes a notched hole. The blade is designed to allow you to slice the cigar from one end but at the same depth. This eliminates the danger of slashing the cigar too deep but provides ample surface area to draw ample air.
To use the wedge cutter, you should hold the cutter in one hand and cigar with the other. Then, push your cigar towards the cutter while squeezing both ends together. Note that the wedge cutters are available in diverse options that range from v-cutters to pocket-size models.
Just like the wedge cutters, punch cutters do not rip off the cigar head completely. Instead, they have a circular blade that that slashes an opening as you rotate it to create a hole. However, the punch cutters are not considered ideal for cutting for small ring gauge brands.
These scissors are slightly different from the common home models. The blades are designed with stainless steel for ripping off the cigar cup with ease.
How to Cut a Cigar
There is no denying it; cutting a cigar is an art. Though it might look difficult at first, it will become easier over time. Here are the four main steps to cutting a cigar.
- Relax before cutting the cigars: The most important thing when cutting cigars is ensuring you take time. No need to rush. Relaxing is especially important if you are skeptical about the process or you are new to cigar smoking.
- Target to cut the cigar on slightly down the head: The rule of the thumb when it comes to cigar cutting is that you should nip it slightly below the shoulder. If you cut too far above the shoulder, you will lose a big chunk of the prestigious tobacco.
- Use one clean cut: After positioning the blade on the right place, make a clean cut by apply optimum force. If you make multiple cuts, the wrapper could get torn.
- Practice: To become a perfect cigar cutter, some practice will be required. Therefore, do not worry much if the first cut is not perfect. By the time you are cutting a couple of cigars, your skills will have improved tremendously.
The Best Cigar Cutters
Now that you know what cigar cutters are and how to use them, it is time to look at what the market has to offer. Here are the best cutters you will get in the market:
JIFENG Cigar Cutter
If you are looking for a unique cigar cutter that blends style and performance, one of the top options is the JIFENG Cigar Cutter. It is a Guillotine model featuring double stainless blades to make cutting your cigar, easy, fast, and enjoyable.
- It is constructed with metal alone to give it more weight and increase precision.
- As a stainless steel cutter, it retains the sharpness for a long time.
- The cutter is packaged in a lovely gift box.
- You get a lifetime warranty.
- Some complaints have been raised about the blade. However, most people indicate that it is sturdy and sharp.
- It cannot be handmade. The complex design means that it needs to be carefully designed and produced for precision.
The overall rating of this cutter is 8.5/10.
Colibri V-Cut Cigar Cutter
If you love V-cutters, this is one great option that has taken the market by storm. It is designed to make it portable especially for those who like traveling with their humidors. It fits well in the pocket or even wallet so that you are assured of having a clean cut before lighting your cigar no matter where you go:
- Its blade is made with stainless steel to enhance durability.
- The v-shape design makes the cutter very easy to use.
- It is sold with a long warranty for two years.
- It features a spring release that ensures the blade is always locked for enhanced safety.
- Like other V-cutters, the design is complex and difficult to repair in case of damage.
The overall rating of this cutter is 8.0 out of ten.
Xikar Cigar Cutter
This cigar cutter has become sensational in the market because of its quality. Xikar Company has distinguished itself in the market for commitment to making top quality products and customer value. When designing this cutter, Xikar wanted to craft an item that would make cigar aficionados to fall in love with cigars. It did not disappoint.
- The cutter is associated with the leading brands in the cigar business. Therefore, when you get the cutter you are assured of quality.
- It is designed with high-grade stainless steel that helps to retain sharpness and add weight.
- The blades are hidden in a sheath so that you can store it safely in the pocket without worrying of accidents.
- The body, except the blades, is designed using hardened plastics. This could make some people feel inferior when carrying around.
The rating for this cutter is 8.8/10.
If you are a cigar aficionado, learning how to correctly cut the cap is crucial to the smoking thrill. This guide provides you with everything that you need about cutting cigars to help take the thrill to the next level.